Monday, September 8, 2014

The Best Thing I Swallowed on Sunday Episode 14

Keeping this one short and sweet, as Hopleaf was hosting Kegs for Kids from noon until five today. As usual, it was a successful fundraiser with over four hundred in attendance. There were tons of great things on draft, but after bartending an event with this many people, I was too wiped to do my usual due diligence. Thus, I settled on one unique beer that grabbed my attention: Founders Rübaeus.

But before going into greater detail about this raspberry ale, I'd like to mention some of the other great beers that I got a taste of. Three Floyds Big Tiddy Assassin was a surprisingly good Flemish-style red. Dogfish's Saison Du Buff and Evil Twin Femme Fatale Yuzu Pale were both outstanding. The Metropolitan Flywheel with mint and lime went fast, and for good reason; it was light with an interesting twist in the finish. I also had a taste of newcomer Empirical's Honey Hypothesis amber ale. It was really light and refreshing, and I look forward to seeing what else comes out of Ravenswood's latest brewery. I could go on with the list of greatness that was available at Kegs for Kids, but time and space are limited.



Founders Rübaeus is a perfect blend of sweet and tart. It's light, effervescent, and packed with raspberry deliciousness. It's color is a beautiful red, and the foam also has tinges of red. At 5.7% ABV, it's an easy drinker. While this is the best thing I swallowed on Sunday while at work, the best beer that I drank on Sunday is the Left Hand Milk Stout that I'm enjoying in my own home after a great, but exhausting, event.